Tuesday 30 June 2015

Life as a Stay at Home Mom

Do you ever have one of those days where you know you should be doing something but just don't have the energy to do it?  I'm talking simple things...like getting out of your pjs...lol.

As a stay at home mom I have some freedom to manage my day as I want.  It was always my dream job to be a stay at home mom, thinking how nice it would be to stay at home all day, be my own boss, sleep whenever I want, etc.  That is totally NOT how it is.  I feel like I was tricked!  I know people who think all I do all day is watch the Price is Right and eat chocolate, but that couldn't be further from the truth.  My day starts at about 7 am everyday, every week, unless it is one of those weekend days (not every weekend) where it is my turn to sleep in, and ends at 8 pm when my boy goes to bed.  It is a long day full of cooking (three meals a day), cleaning up after each meal, housework, laundry, taking my boy to whatever class he has to be at, grocery shopping, dog walking, yard work, and the list goes on.  Sure, I don't HAVE to do all this stuff but I would feel so guilty if my husband had to come home after working all day and then spend his weekends (precious bonding time with his son) cleaning toilets!  Of course, he could make supper once in awhile, but that is my fault as I don't like anyone in my kitchen...did I mention I have O.C.D? My husband is an amazing cook but makes the biggest mess in the kitchen (love you sweetie...wink wink).

One of the hardest things for me, going from working a full time job to being a stay at home mom, was getting up in the morning, getting dressed and putting on makeup.  I would think to myself, "What's the point? No one will see me today anyways".  I slowly realized I shouldn't do it for others, but for myself.  I feel 100% better when I'm dressed (in something other than sweats or pjs) and have my makeup on and hair done.  And once I made it part of my morning routine, I automatically felt better and it was like a domino effect.  I started eating better and working out.  Not only did my wardrobe change from office outfits to casual outfits, but I also changed.  My view on life changed.  Not only was a new mom, I was a new me.  I was starting my new life and after 2 years, I am happy with where I am today.  I feel like I got it.

As my son is 2, almost 3, he still has one nap a day, for about an hour and a half.  I treasure that time to myself when the house is quiet and I can get some stuff done that I need to do without interruptions and also do my workout.  Some days, like today, I did what I needed to, including my workout, in the morning so that I could have a real break today and just be lazy for an hour and a half.  Bliss.

I feel very privileged to be able to stay home with my boy and to watch him grow up, and although some days can be so busy trying to get as much done as possible, I wouldn't change it for anything.  I love taking care of my family and household.  It makes me feel fulfilled.  I love being a mom and a wife and when I go to sleep at night, it feels good knowing that I did my part in taking care of my family.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment